In Perpetuity
Cart 0

One house,
endless stories

Built in 1818 as the John Brockenbrough Mansion, the house is approaching its 200th anniversary. Over the years, it has served many roles, most famously that of Executive Mansion of Jefferson Davis and his family from 1861-1865. While those four years cemented the house's importance in history, it also was a private residence (1818-1861), a headquarters of Union occupying forces during Reconstruction (1865-1870), the Richmond Central School (1871- 1894), home to The Confederate Museum (1896- 1976), and the fully restored White House of the Confederacy (1988-present). It was one of the first places designated as a National Historic Landmark. 


Richmond Central School - ca 1890-93 - Valentine Cook Collection.jpg



The American Civil War Museum is the steward of the White House of the Confederacy. The American Civil War Museum is the result of a consolidation between the American Civil War Center at Historic Tredegar and the Museum of the Confederacy. The roots of the Museum of the Confederacy come from the Confederate Memorial Literary Society, a ladies organization formed after the Civil War to preserve the house and promote and collect Confederate history.

We are committed to telling all the stories the house holds, including those who haven't been heard before. While we never can forget the home's most famous resident, Jefferson Davis, we know that any story is better when all sides are heard. As part of the programs during the bicentennial, we'll dig deeper into the history you know and introduce stories yet heard. 

WHC Garden - 1871-72 - Richmond Central School class photo, 1871-72 Session.jpg